June is the start of hurricane season in the United States. Blossman Gas encourages its customers to prepare for hazardous conditions by assessing your home’s risk and developing emergency plans for protection against a potential storm.
Here are several important tips to ensure safety in the event of flooding or evacuation resulting from severe weather patterns.
Be Prepared Beforehand
- Maintain an adequate supply of propane in your tank. During and after a hurricane, propane and
other types of fuel may not be readily available and roads leading to your home might not be
accessible for delivery.
- Create an emergency plan and review it regularly with your family. This plan should include
instructions for turning off your propane tank and indoor propane appliances.
- Have a disaster supply kit prepared. It should include clean water, non-perishable food, extra
clothing and blankets, flashlights/batteries, and a battery-powered radio.
During A Hurricane
- Evacuate the area when necessary. Listen to your local authorities for instructions on the
appropriate course of action to take with regards to evacuations.
- If it is determined that you should evacuate, shut off your tank. Turn off the gas supply valve in a
clockwise direction at the tank. Keep in mind, propane tanks should NEVER be stored indoors.
- Never use outdoor propane appliances or generators indoors or in an enclosed space.
After A Hurricane
- If an evacuation was ordered, wait until local authorities have announced it is safe to return.
- Call your local Blossman Gas branch to schedule an appointment with a technician if you have
turned off your gas supply. You should also call if you smell propane, if your propane tank has
shifted or moved, or if your tank regulator or propane appliances were exposed to water.
About Blossman Gas
Blossman Gas, Inc. has been providing comfort to families throughout the Southeast and Mid-Atlantic for
more than 65 years. Serving customers in 16 states from over 70 branches, the family-and employee owned company delivers propane and efficient propane appliances to their 170,000+ customers.
Showrooms provide demonstrations and expertise on most national manufacturers of ranges, cooktops,
water heaters, outdoor living products, generators, gas grills and gas logs. Leading the industry in
technician training, Blossman is a full-service company that provides everything from propane delivery to
appliance sales, installation and service. For more information, call 1.888.Blossman or visit